Emma Letters

Emma Letters

Saturday, October 8, 2011

Reassurance

Friday, September 23rd, 2011.

Round two with Dr. Doom. After what felt like an endless two nights of online research, I began to have a clearer picture of what constitutes Fetal Growth Restriction and the possible complications.

Basically, fetuses that are below the tenth percentile are automatically diagnosed with fetal growth restriction. Also, high amniotic fluid level is sometimes a symptom of gestational diabetes (which Jenn had been diagnosed with a few weeks prior).

I'll admit, I was addicted to searching about it. It wasn't very healthy, even for a short period of a few days. I was looking for any stories of hope or reassurance that I could find. Surprisingly, hope came from where I least expected it...

After another ultrasound, we met with the Doctor and I had my laundry list of questions to ask him. After that last appointment, Jenn and I had a sense of what some of the scenarios could be with this, but we didn't have any idea which one was more likely.

I took a deep breath and asked the most pressing question on our minds.

"What would you say the odds are of her growth restriction and excess amniotic fluid being due to a genetic anamoly, such as Down's syndrome?"

"Single digit percentage."

Ummm....hold on a tick. You mean to tell me that you disclaimed this possibility without giving us any sense of how likely it could be, based on less than 10 percent odds?!

If it weren't for the overwhelming relief I had felt at that moment, I probably would have had an overwhelming urge to smack him. I mean, I know doctors have to disclaim any risks to us, but geez...I felt like I was in a prescription drug commercial...

"Take "Happy Pill A" for instant relief of your physical discomforts..."

Followed by: "Happy Pill A may cause drowsiness, dizziness, migraines, urinary tract infection, internal bleeding, heart-attack, stroke, or death. Do not take Happy Pill A if you breathe oxygen, have breathed oxygen in the past, or are prone to breathe oxygen within the next 24 hours.... Happy Pill A, make everyday, a happy day."

So, 90+ percent chance that her chromosomes are fine? I'll take those odds. That made us feel better. But, we're not out of the woods yet. What about the blood flow through the umbilical cord? That could be causing brain as well as physical damage. Well, through the ultrasound, they can detect blood flow. Every time they checked, the flow seemed consistent and strong! Yes, go Emma, go!!

That left the pesky placenta. I asked the doctor what the odds are that a situation like this would be due to the placenta. He said 50-66 percent of the time. Again, I felt the urge to smack him. These numbers would have given us much needed assurance. Granted, it's not good that Emma isn't getting nutrients. However, this is the best case scenario. There is a chance that Emma would just be born small, like a premie, and would simply need time to "catch up" in size.

So, after the ultrasound and monitoring the baby, they noted that her heartbeat is strong, the blood flow looks good. Her movement is good. Her brain is sending the signal to her lungs to breathe (they can't actually breathe due to the fluid, but it's preparing the lungs for when she is born). Really, the main cause for concern is her small size and the excess amniotic fluid.

Well, the doctor admitted that part of this probably has to do with Jenn and I being so small.

Ummm....hello? How much are they paying you? Seriously though, we don't have medical degrees, but it just seemed logical that that would be a factor.

At the last appointment, we asked the doctor what he estimated Emma's weight to be. He said 3-1/2 lbs. Apparently, at 34 weeks, she should be more like 5 lbs. OK, that's small, but to me, that didn't sound like first percentile numbers.

So, next weeks appointments will tell a better tale. The doctor said the fluid level needs to come down. Jenn was measuring 36 cm of amniotic fluid. The normal range is 8-25 cm. Thankfully, there were no signs of preeclampsia. Jenn's blood pressure was normal to slightly low.

The doctor admitted that they wouldn't truly know if there were issues until Emma is born. Some signs show up immediately and others take time to show up. Regardless though, this week of uncertainty and despair has helped me realize something within myself.

When my wife and I were standing at the altar many, many years ago (ok, it was only six years ago), we had written our own vows to each other. However, we agreed to end them both the same way. "Come what may". I love my beautiful wifey and I love my beautiful daughter. And, I've come to realize that even if something goes awry and the outcome isn't ideal...I will put my faith in God and will accept and love my baby girl....come what may.


No comments:

Post a Comment