Emma Letters

Emma Letters

Thursday, September 29, 2011

Team Blue or Team Pink?

Monday, June 13th.

We watched in wonder as the ultrasound technician easily navigated the bizarre landscape of alien shapes. Supposedly, these unique, mysterious images were actual parts of our developing baby! Who knew?

"And here we can see the head..."

Yay! Our baby has a head! This is the best day ever!!

Cheekiness aside, the bigger question was...

"Is it a boy or a girl?!"

"Look, here are the arms and legs..." The ultrasound technician continued.

Fascinating, but really, I just want to know...will I be playing "trucks" or "tea party"?! Someday will I be taking a father-son bonding motorcycle trip or walking my precious girl down the aisle?!

Regardless, we had a name already picked out for each. If it was a boy, his name would be "Caden Joseph" (my first name is Joseph/Joe/Joey). If it was a girl, her name would be "Emma Rose" (I kid that the "Rose" part is because we have a lovely rose bush in our yard. But really it's after my mother-in-law, Rose).

After an E-T-E-R-N-I-T-Y (roughly 10 minutes?) the ultrasound tech asked us if we had a preference and what that would be.

Both Jenn (my wifey) and I answered without hesitation...

"Girl"

Of course, it's not that we wouldn't be happy with either. We feel blessed just to be HAVING this little miracle.

The ultrasound tech smiled and said "Well, she's got her legs spread wide open and...I'm not seeing anything."

So with 99.9% certainty, she assured us that we'd be having a baby girl!

We both beamed at the news. All sorts of wonderful daddy-daughter thoughts and images flooded my mind. I forgot all about the trucks and pictured the tea parties, the ballet classes, cheerleading, taking her to Disney World, and of course, walking her down the aisle someday.

Sure, having a boy would have been awesome in many other ways. I know many men who would prefer a rough and tumble boy to a petite, little girl.

But, I wanted a little princess.

Besides, girls can do most of what boys can and lots that boys cannot.

So, maybe if I'm lucky, someday instead of that father-son bonding motorcycle trip I'll have a daddy-daughter bonding motorcycle trip...

whether she'd ride her own bike, or even if she'd rather ride on the back with me :)


Go Team Pink!!!



-- 19 weeks --



No comments:

Post a Comment